Last Updated on January 18, 2024
The Australian Shepherd, often called an “Aussie,” is a breed full of surprises. Initially developed in the United States, not Australia, this breed is cherished for its intelligence, energy, and loyalty. With striking coats in various colours and patterns, Australian Shepherds are medium-sized dogs that combine beauty with agility.
Choosing the right breeder is crucial when you’re looking to welcome an Australian Shepherd into your life. A reputable breeder doesn’t just focus on the physical health of their puppies but also their emotional and psychological development. Opting for a responsible breeder means you’re more likely to get a healthy, well-adjusted dog.
To help you in your search, we’ve updated our guide to include a master list of 50 reputable Australian Shepherd breeders in Australia. This resource is perfect for anyone looking to bring an Aussie into their life, from first-time owners to experienced enthusiasts. It connects you with trustworthy breeders dedicated to the health and happiness of their dogs.
Table of Contents
Understanding Australian Shepherds
A Breed with a Misleading Name
Contrary to what their name suggests, Australian Shepherds were developed in the western United States. Originating in the 19th century, these dogs were bred by Basque shepherds mainly for their herding skills. The name likely comes from the Basque shepherds’ previous residence in Australia.
What Makes an Aussie.
The Aussie dog breed is known for its unique characteristics and traits. Originating from Australia, Aussies are highly intelligent, versatile, and energetic. Renowned for their herding abilities and agility, these dogs excel in various activities such as obedience, tracking, and agility competitions. With their loyal and protective nature, Aussies make excellent companions and working dogs for those who appreciate their exceptional qualities.
- Temperament: Known for their sharp minds and eagerness, Australian Shepherds form strong bonds with their families. They are active and playful and thrive when they have tasks to do.
- Looks: Aussies are medium in size, robust, and have eye-catching coats in colours like black, blue merle, red, and more. Their eyes are particularly expressive, often in shades of blue, brown, or amber.
- Health: With a 12 to 15-year lifespan, these dogs are generally healthy but can have breed-specific health issues. Regular vet checkups and a healthy lifestyle are essential.
Aussies at Home and Work
The Australian Shepherd excels at adapting to different environments, including home and work. At home, they’re usually super loyal and affectionate with their family, always ready to cuddle up on the couch or play fetch in the backyard. But when it’s time to clock in at work, these smart pups are focused and determined, excelling in tasks like herding, search and rescue, or even agility competitions. They’re just all-around fantastic companions, no matter where they are!
Why Choose a Reputable Breeder?
When it comes to getting a new furry friend, choosing a reputable dog breeder ensures a healthy and well-adjusted pup and the peace of mind that they come from a responsible source. They’ll provide the necessary support, information, and documentation for an informed decision. Give your pup the best start by opting for a reputable breeder!
Beyond Just Breeding: Ethical breeding transcends beyond just producing puppies. It encompasses providing the dogs with a loving, health-focused environment and preserving the breed’s integrity. These breeders are typically active members of the breed’s community, engaging in various clubs and events, underlining their commitment and love for the breed.
Health Checks and Certifications: In your search for the perfect breeder, prioritise those who conduct thorough genetic testing and health screenings, particularly for conditions prevalent in Australian Shepherds. The presence of health certifications and detailed pedigrees serves as a testament to the breeder’s commitment to the health and quality of their litter.
The Breeder’s Role in the Breed’s Health: Dedicated breeders are instrumental to the health and future of Australian Shepherds. By carefully choosing breeding pairs and fostering a wholesome upbringing for the puppies, they play a pivotal role in ensuring the breed’s ongoing health, happiness, and longevity.
Top 50 Australian Shepherd Breeders in Australia
Australia is home to many passionate Australian Shepherd breeders. This section provides a curated list of the top 50 breeders, organised by state and region. You’ll find a snapshot of each breeder’s experience, achievements, and breeding philosophy. This list is a starting point for finding the perfect Aussie companion.
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders New South Wales
01. Blueamble Australian Shepherds: Known as one of NSW’s best Australian Shepherd breeders, Blueamble focuses on raising well-fed and healthy dogs. These Aussies are nurtured with Advance Dog Food, ensuring they are agile and robust, ideal for dog shows.
02. Goldmaid: Located in Central Coast NSW, Goldmaid is versatile in breeding Welsh Springer Spaniels and Australian Shepherds. They are known for offering high-quality Aussies, catering to various preferences.
03. Sarbinma Australian Shepherds: Located in NSW, Sarbinma is recognised for breeding energetic and happy Australian Shepherds. As of 2023, they have a new litter of healthy dogs and are open to inquiries from potential Aussie owners.
04. Cuebiyar Australian Shepherds: Cuebiyar takes pride in ensuring they are brought up with the utmost care, including all necessary deworming, vaccinations, and routine health checkups. This attention to detail makes their Aussies healthy for dog shows and a joy for families.
05. Dykinta Kennels: Situated in Wyee, NSW, Dykinta Kennels is celebrated for its reputable breeding practices. They focus on creating the right environment for Australian Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and more, ensuring well-rounded and healthy dogs.
06. Elchoksy Australian Shepherds: Based in Lake Macquarie, NSW, Elchoksy is a member of the Australian Shepherd Association of NSW and is registered with ANKC DOGSNSW. They are known for providing their puppies with complete vaccination and thorough DNA testing.
07. Mistari Canine Enterprises: This breeder stands out in NSW for its extensive experience in breeding Australian Shepherds, Alaskan Malamutes, Golden Retrievers, and German Shepherds. Their division, Maisilva Australian Shepherds, is mainly focused on Aussies.
08. Edensundown: Based in Tamworth, NSW, Edensundown is recognised for breeding Australian Shepherds in a nurturing, family-oriented setting. Their focus is on ensuring optimal health and early socialisation for their Aussies.
09. Gemelo Kennel: Located in Hunter Valley, NSW, Gemelo Kennel may not produce large litters, but their Australian Shepherds are noted for their excellent health, skills, and affectionate nature.
10. Crystaleye Kennels: Established in 1996 with their first Australian Shepherd, “Matilda”, Crystaleye Kennels has become one of the most reputable breeders in NSW. They emphasise raising healthy dogs in a loving environment.
11. Delchoksky Australian Shepherds: Nestled in Lake Macquarie, N.S.W., Delchoksky Australian Shepherds is known for breeding healthy Australian shepherds, ensuring each puppy is DNA tested and screened for health issues like Hip Dysplasia, upholding their reputation as a trusted breeder in New South Wales.
12. Leesway: Leesway, located in the Canoelands of North New South Wales, is renowned for its rigorously health-tested Australian shepherds, trained to display exemplary behaviour without a strong prey drive, making them a top choice for responsible breeding in the region.
13. Nuthinbutt Aussies: Based in New South Wales, Nuthinbutt Aussies may have a modest online presence, but their Facebook page vividly showcases their commitment to breeding Australian shepherds with excellent temperaments and thorough health testing, a hidden gem for those seeking quality breeders in the state.
14. Mistique Australian Shepherds: Founded in 1984, Mistique Australian Shepherds is a seasoned breeder with over 35 years of experience, known for producing show champions and obedience-titled dogs. Their Australian Shepherds are renowned for their friendly temperaments, making them ideal as family pets or sports dogs. All breeding parents are hip elbow scored, DNA tested for hereditary diseases, and puppies are vaccinated and microchipped.
15. Ozzstyle Kennels: With over 20 years of experience, Ozzstyle Kennels in NSW is a boutique breeder of Australian Shepherds. They pride themselves on their minimalist approach to breeding, focusing on improving the breed through extensive research, health testing, and international learning.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders New South Wales
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Victora
16. Crystaleye Australian Shepherds: Established in 1996, Crystaleye may not be widely known, but their commitment to responsible breeding sets them apart. Their Australian Shepherds are bred with care and often showcased in dog shows, highlighting their excellent physique and conditioning.
17. Ellagant Australian Shepherds: Known for raising dogs that achieve the “Supreme Champion” status in dog shows, Ellagant is a notable breeder in Victoria. They offer healthy Australian Shepherd puppies that are dewormed, vaccinated, and microchipped, ready for their new homes.
18. Eliteview Australian Shepherds: Located in Somerville, Eliteview stands out among breeders in Victoria. One of the founders, Ross, is an accredited full panel judge for ANKC in various disciplines, including Obedience and Rally O. As a member of Dogs Victoria, Eliteview exemplifies quality breeding practices.
19. Dapsen Cavaliers and Australian Shepherds: Specialising in breeding both Cavaliers and Australian Shepherds, Dapsen is recognised for its focus on just two breeds, ensuring proper health and well-being. Despite a lower profile, they are regarded as one of the finest breeders in Victoria.
20. Rozate Australian Shepherds: With its inception in 1994, Rozate is among the well-established breeders in Victoria. They are known for producing show and performance champions, focusing on their Australian Shepherds’ overall health and excellence.
21. AusFX Australian Shepherds: Initiated by Leonora Bor and situated in Gippsland, Victoria, AusFX Australian Shepherds stands as a premier breeder specialising in nurturing and selling Australian shepherd puppies. This breeder is dedicated to training Aussies to be well-balanced in temperament, ensuring they are friendly with other canines and humans rather than showing aggression. Genetics is a crucial concern for AusFX, with a commitment to breeding predominantly healthy Australian shepherds for future generations.
22. Sharam Australian Shepherds: Founded by Sarah Male in 2008, Sharam Australian Shepherds is a distinguished breeder within Victoria, albeit smaller in scale, known for housing robust and healthy Aussie shepherd puppies. Due to their size, the availability of litters can be limited so prospective owners might experience a wait time for the next batch of puppies. For further details, a visit to Sharam Australian Shepherds is recommended.
23. Jadziah Australian Shepherds: Jadziah Australian Shepherds is a boutique breeder located in the South Eastern suburbs of Victoria, focusing on producing a litter of pups with agility champion potential. They emphasise the health of their Aussies and train them for superior temperament. Recognised as one of the finest breeders of Australian shepherd puppies in Victoria, more information can be found by contacting Jadziah Australian Shepherds.
24. Amerahnn Australian Shepherds: Based in Geelong, Western Victoria, is a boutique breeder producing healthy dogs that often become assistant or companion animals, fully vetted for health conditions like hip disorders. They’re a solid choice for anyone in Geelong seeking Australian Shepherd puppies, though availability may vary with demand.
25. Ausdreaming: Originating in Somerville, Ausdreaming has been a dedicated breeder since 2005, starting with a blue merle Australian Shepherd known for sound temperament and intelligence. They emphasise thorough research and guidance in their breeding process to provide well-suited dogs for families.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Victoria.
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Queensland
26. Trublumate Australian Shepherds: Located in South East Queensland, Trublumate stands out as a critical breeder of Australian Shepherds. Known for their comprehensive approach, they provide extensive information about the breed, including costs and care details. Trublumate is a top choice for those seeking high-quality Australian Shepherd puppies in Queensland.
27. Ochaye Australian Shepherds: This Brisbane-based breeder may not be as well-known, but Ochaye is a commendable option for Australian Shepherd puppies in QLD. They are dedicated to offering well-cared-for Aussies, and additional information about their breeding practices and puppies can be learned from them directly.
28. Queensland Aussie Shepherds: As a prominent breeder in QLD, they utilise their Facebook page to share valuable information about Australian Shepherd puppy adoption and care. This breeder is known for their commitment to the breed and offers a transparent view of how they raise their puppies.
29. Wajoma Australian Shepherds: Situated in North Brisbane, Wajoma specialises in breeding healthy Australian Shepherds and is committed to providing lifetime support for their dogs. They stand out for their willingness to always welcome their dogs back, should the need arise.
30. Diamond Valley Kennels: Among Australia’s most renowned breeding groups, Diamond Valley Kennels is breeding Australian Shepherds, Spoodles, and Golden Retrievers. With a focus on excellence and annual vet audits, they are a member of PIAA, highlighting their status as responsible breeders.
31. AdventurAus Australian Shepherds: Based in Brisbane, Queensland, AdventurAus is another pivotal breeder, showcasing their healthy Australian Shepherds in a gallery. Known for offering affordable options, they are ideal for those looking for quality Aussie Shepherd puppies in QLD.
32. TRU BLU MATE: In South East Queensland, TRU BLU MATE is known for their friendly approach to breeding Australian Shepherds. Raising all dogs in a home environment and ensuring proper nutrition, they are registered with Dogs QLD and are a top choice for Australian Shepherd puppies in Brisbane.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Queensland.
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Tasmina
33. SANPASHO: Established in 2007 in Kayena, Tasmania, SANPASHO has grown to be a leading resource for healthy and happy Australian Shepherds in the region. Known for their caring approach, they prioritise the health of their dogs, conducting regular health checks and eye certifications to ensure the well-being of their Australian Shepherds. SANPASHO is a top choice for those seeking Australian Shepherd puppies in Tasmania.
34. Clairveux: Originally Copperwings, this Tasmanian breeder may not be widely known, but they excel in breeding high-quality Australian Shepherds. The dogs from Clairveux are among the healthiest in the region, coming fully vaccinated and microchipped. For more information on their breeding practices and puppies, Clairveux can be contacted directly.
35. Ngalla Kennels: Initially from Tasmania, Ngalla Kennels has now relocated to Central Victoria as of February 15, 2023, but continues to serve the Tasmanian region. They offer a colourful variety of Australian Shepherds, cats, and horses. Known for breeding healthy and happy litters, they are a reliable source for Aussie puppies, although availability may vary.
36. Waikikamukau Australian Shepherds: Based in Brighton, Tasmania, Waikikamukau is a reputable breeder with a strong presence on social media, particularly their Facebook group. Their Australian Shepherds are celebrated for their excellent temperament with children, trustworthiness with people, and friendliness with other dogs. Waikikamukau is committed to the excellence and well-being of their Aussies.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Tasamina.
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Western Australia
37. Fiddlespring Aussies in Coolbellup, WA, is renowned for producing high-quality Australian Shepherd puppies. They ensure each puppy receives a thorough vet check, vaccinations, registration, and microchipping. The breeder emphasises a nurturing environment where puppies are surrounded by love and adequately socialised, growing up in harmonious conditions.
38. Paramount Pups, located in the serene Perth Hills, is dedicated to offering fantastic Australian Shepherd puppies that mature into exceptional adult dogs. The breeder treats their puppies as family members, providing an ideal environment for their development and growth, reflecting their deep love and commitment to the breed.
39. Zenderland, based in Margaret River, WA, specialises in well-socialised Australian Shepherd puppies. These puppies are accustomed to various environments, including children, goats, horses, and other dogs. From healthy parents, each puppy is microchipped and vaccinated, ensuring a well-rounded start in life.
40. Rousillon in Perth is a breeder focused on producing Australian Shepherd puppies with outstanding qualities. They prioritise the health and well-being of their puppies, ensuring each one is vet-checked, vaccinated, and microchipped. The breeder is committed to the proper growth and development of their puppies, ensuring they have the best start in life.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders Western Australia.
Top Australian Shepherd Breeders South Australia
41. Volcronan: Situated in Adelaide, it specialises in breeding show-quality Australian Shepherds and Chihuahuas, offering puppies for sale when not reserved for shows. They ensure all dogs are Patella tested, vaccinated, and healthy. If you’re looking for Australian Shepherd puppies in Adelaide and they’re not immediately available, you can query Volcronan for future availability to secure a new addition to your home.
42. Tayona Australian Shepherds: Tayona Australian Shepherds is a small kennel on 30 acres in the picturesque southern Mount Lofty Ranges in Adelaide, South Australia. They focus on breeding quality dogs with sound temperaments and are firmly committed to their dogs’ health and well-being.
43. Southern Sun Mini Aussie Shepherds: Southern Sun Mini Aussie Shepherds is a boutique family-owned toy and miniature Australian shepherd breeder based in Trafalgar, Victoria. They specialise in breeding Mini Aussies with sweet, easygoing personalities that make devoted and affectionate family members.
44. Tuscamada Kennels: Tuscamada Kennels is operated by Linda Matthews and is situated in the mid-north township of Avon in South Australia. They raise Australian Shepherds and Tibetan Spaniels in a loving and nurturing environment. They prioritise the health and temperament of their dogs and ensure they are well-socialised before going to their new homes.
45. Emberforde Australian Shepherds: Emberforde Australian Shepherds is a dedicated breeder in Encounter Bay, Australia. They focus on breeding top-quality Australian Shepherds with exceptional temperaments and solid working instincts. They prioritise the health and well-being of their dogs and ensure they receive proper care and attention.
46. Gypsylinc Kennels: Based in North East Adelaide, Gypsylinc Kennels is a home-based breeder specialising in Australian Shepherds and Papillons. They focus on producing happy, healthy, obedient, and well-behaved puppies, making them a reputable choice for those looking to adopt an Aussie.
For detailed information on each breeder, check out this article. Top Australian Shepherd Breeders South Australia.
Choosing the Right Breeder for You
Selecting a breeder for your Australian Shepherd is a crucial step in your journey to dog ownership. It’s not just about finding a healthy puppy; it’s about finding a responsible and ethical partner in your pet’s early life.
Key Considerations in Selecting a Breeder
- Breeder’s Reputation: Research the breeder’s reputation in the community. Look for reviews and testimonials, or ask for references. A good reputation often indicates a commitment to the breed and the families who adopt their puppies.
- Breeding Philosophy: Understand the breeder’s goals and practices. Do they breed for specific traits, workability, show quality, or overall health? Their philosophy should align with what you are looking for in a dog.
- Health and Genetic Testing: Ensure that the breeder performs genetic testing and provides health clearances for their breeding dogs. This minimises the risk of hereditary diseases common in Australian Shepherds.
- Puppy Rearing Practices: Ask about how they raise their puppies. Early socialisation, exposure to various stimuli, and initial training are critical for a well-adjusted puppy.
- Support and Guidance: A good breeder will offer support and guidance even after you take your puppy home. They should be a resource for you throughout your dog’s life.
Questions to Ask Potential Breeders
- How long have you been breeding Australian Shepherds?
- Can you provide detailed health records for the puppy’s parents?
- What are your criteria for selecting breeding pairs?
- How do you socialise and train the puppies?
- What kind of support do you offer to new puppy owners?
Identifying Red Flags
- Immediate Availability: Be wary of breeders who always have puppies available. Responsible breeders typically have waiting lists.
- Multiple Litters at Once: Breeding multiple litters simultaneously can indicate a lack of individual attention and care for each puppy.
- Lack of Knowledge: A breeder should be knowledgeable about the breed and able to answer all your questions confidently.
- No Health Guarantees or Clearances: Avoid breeders who do not offer health guarantees or fail to provide clearances for genetic conditions.
- Unwillingness to Show Living Conditions: A reputable breeder should be transparent and willing to show you where the puppies and adult dogs live.
Preparing for Your Australian Shepherd
Bringing home an Australian Shepherd is an exciting adventure. Here’s what you need to know to make this transition as smooth as possible for you and your new furry friend.
Tips for Bringing Your Puppy Home
- Create a Welcoming Space: Set up a comfortable area with a bed, water bowl, and toys.
- Establish a Routine: Consistency with feeding, potty breaks, and bedtime helps your puppy settle in.
- Introduce Family Members Slowly: Allow your puppy to meet new people and pets gradually to avoid overwhelming them.
Basic Care Needs
- Diet: Feed your Aussie high-quality dog food that is appropriate for their age, size, and activity level. Puppies have different nutritional needs compared to adult dogs.
- Exercise: Australian Shepherds are energetic and need regular exercise. Plan for daily walks, playtime, and mental stimulation.
- Grooming: Regular brushing helps manage their thick coat. Also, keep up with nail trimming, ear cleaning, and dental care.
- Training: Start basic obedience training early. Aussies are intelligent and respond well to positive reinforcement techniques.
Health Care and Vaccinations
- Schedule regular veterinary checkups.
- Keep up-to-date with vaccinations as recommended by your vet.
- Discuss preventive care for parasites and common health issues specific to the breed.