Last Updated on May 17, 2022
Looking for Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based? Wanting to add an Aussie puppy to your family in the nearest future, the first thing you should do is find out where to find Australian Shepherds for sale NSW, then learn more about the training and care of this incredible breed.
Obviously, buying Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based will not be that difficult. There are a lot of Australian Shepherd breeders NSW based producing puppies in this state. So, what options do you have and how to purchase an Australian Shepherd in New South Wales? Now, let’s get the answer!
1. Buying an Aussie from a pet store in New South Wales
People often think purchasing Australians Shepherd for sale NSW based from a pet store is a good idea. Unfortunately, that is not true. Often these Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based come from puppy mills. Sometimes, pet stores in New South Wales cooperate with the local adoption centres and try to help puppies find new homes. If you are looking for Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based at a pet store, make sure to ask where the puppies come from to ensure you are not supporting puppy mill practices or that your hard-earned money is being spent on an Australian Shepherd puppy in poor health.
Puppies from puppy mills are often in poor health due to lack of veterinary care, poor living conditions, dogs being bred too young and too frequently, as well as inbreeding. It is estimated that up to 90 percent of puppies available in pet shops were sold from a puppy mill. Aside from not wanting to support poor breeding practices from puppy mills, you also want to purchase a healthy dog.
The dogs that come from puppy mills may not just be physically unhealthy. They may have psychological problems as well. The lack of socialisation contributes greatly to the development of fearful behaviour. These dogs can be afraid of people, noises and some objects. They can start barking without any reason and even injure themselves while panicking.
If you bring a fearful puppy home, get ready to spend much time improving his behaviour and gaining his trust. Obviously, you should avoid visiting pet stores if you are looking for a healthy and happy Australian Shepherds for sale in NSW. So, let’s see what other reasons should stop you from buying an Aussie puppy from a pet store.
If you want to get a furry friend that will bring you immense pleasure and make your life brighter, remember that
- A reasonable breeder will never send his puppies to a pet store
- Puppies are physically and mentally traumatised
- House training would be a challenge
- Puppies are more expensive in a pet store
- You are not rescuing those poor pets
No doubt, it’s very hard to see those miserable and helpless Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based kept in pet stores. They really deserve a better life and a brighter future. That’s why some people believe they can rescue them by buying and bringing them home. In fact, people just help pet stores stay in business and thrive. Everything is quite simple – when puppies are sold, more puppies are ordered from puppy mills. It is a vicious circle that someone has to break.
But if you still want to take a poor puppy from a pet store, make sure that he has no serious health problems that can undermine the quality of his life. Here are a few pet stores to research if you are looking for Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based at a pet store:
- Kellyville Pets – Kellyville Pets sells puppies with a health guarantee and provides a “Puppy Promise” to ensure all of their breeders are routinely inspected for responsible breeding practices. They are happy to provide information on all of their breeders, puppies, and parents and encourage customers to ask any and all questions before purchasing a puppy. At Kellyville Pets, they do really care about the quality of the puppies they sell. All of the breeders that Kellyville Pets is dealing with are personally visited several times a year. The puppies are micro-chipped. They also have a 3-year genetic guarantee. Kellyville Pets are always ready to re-home your pet if you find yourself in a situation where you are no longer able to keep it. Plus, they allow their customers to meet puppies before buying them. Kellyville Pets has a highly trained staff that can help you choose the right pet and the items it may need.
- Noah’s Ark Pets – With a similar promise to ensure responsible breeding practices for all puppies sold, Noah’s Ark is a family-run business and works hard to provide lots of information for new puppy owners to support them when they bring their puppy home for the first time. They also sell cats, birds, and fish! This wonderful place is situated in Western Sydney. At Noah’s Ark Pets, the experienced and highly-trained staff work hard to help you choose the best pet that will fill your life with positive emotions. They provide a wide selection of healthy puppies that are ready to join your family. The store offers pet supplies for cats and dogs including toys, food, grooming products, bowels, collars, leads and many others. The good news is that Noah’s Ark Pets is planning to provide such services as dog grooming, doggy day-care and dog boarding.
- Pittwater Pets – Pittwater Pets is a family-owned business delivering personalised pet advice. They are passionate about pets and want to build a relationship to assist you with keeping your puppy as happy and healthy as possible. All of their puppies are sold vaccinated, micro-chipped, de-wormed, and vet checked. They also provide a health guarantee and advice on food, medications, and treats for your new puppy. Pittwater Pets is a PIAA (Pet Industry Association) member and abides by the Animal Welfare Code of Practice. All of their breeders are also approved. Pittwater pets also provide downloadable care guides for easy reference on their website. So, if you are searching for the Australian Shepherds for sale in NSW, don’t miss an opportunity to visit this fabulous place.
2. Buying from a puppy farm in New South Wales
Getting an Australian Shepherd from a puppy farm is a poor choice as well. Puppy mills usually produce Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based with the only purpose in mind – to make money. Unfortunately, they do not even care about the quality of the puppies they produce. There are some warning signs indicating that you are dealing with a puppy farm in New South Wales:
- The puppies are raised in awful conditions
- The puppies appear small, weak, or sickly
- The breeder refuses to show puppy’s parents
- Puppies are always available
- Puppies do not receive medical care
- You cannot get health or registration information for the parents
- There are no genetic tests done
- Documents are not provided
- No health guarantees are provided
You can easily come across a puppy mill while looking for the Australian Shepherd in New South Wales. In those horrible places, puppies usually look unhealthy and suffer from a variety of medical conditions including dehydration, ear infections, severe tooth decay and many others. Plus, the puppies may not get the necessary amount of food. Often, the food they consume is low-quality and contains no essential vitamins and minerals. As a result, puppies may become malnourished.
In puppy mills, female dogs produce as many puppies as possible without getting enough time to recover after pregnancy and delivery. In most cases, breeding dogs are kept in filthy structures without any chance to breathe fresh air and see the sunshine.
The sad truth is that mother dogs are valuable to puppy mills as long as they can get pregnant. But when they become exhausted and are not able to produce a litter of puppies any more, puppy mills get rid of them.
Puppy mills are often overcrowded. Most of their dogs are kept in cramped cages with wire flooring that can seriously injure their legs and paws. These poor creatures have no room to play and enjoy themselves.
Unfortunately, such breeders do not make any tests to make sure that their puppies are healthy and have no genetic disorders. For these reasons, you want to avoid puppy mills.
3. Rescuing an Australian Shepherd in New South Wales
Rescuing an Australian Shepherd can be a good option for some families. In general, you will not know the history, lineage, or training of the rescued dog prior. This can be a major deterrent for some potential puppy owners and can make integration into a new setting challenging. Rehabilitating dogs takes care, patience, and a lot of time. If you are in a position to provide this level of care a rescued Australian Shepherd could be the right choice for you.
Here are some Australian Shepherd rescue organisations to reach out to learn more about rescue options:
- Australian Shepherd Association of NSW, Inc. – It is the mission of the club to promote and encourage interest in the Australian Shepherd and purebred dogs and preserve the breed rather than change it.
- Australian Shepherd Rescue – A small, private rescue that helps to rescue and re-home Australian Shepherd and Miniature Pinschers in need.
- RSPCA NWS – The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) is a not-for-profit organisation in Australia that cares for, treats, protects and re-homes animals across the state. The organisation runs six shelters and three veterinary hospitals dedicated to treating, rehabilitating, and re-homing animals. With 26 volunteer branches, RSPCA NSW helps a wide range of animals in need.
4. Buying an Australian Shepherd from a responsible breeder in New South Wales
A responsible breeder is the best choice for getting a healthy puppy. Responsible Australian Shepherd breeders NSW based put the health and well-being of the dogs above money. They will also provide support for you after you bring your puppy home to ensure your puppy has a happy, healthy life. This type of education and support is invaluable for a first-time puppy owner. Your veterinarian can also help to provide guidance on proper care and, sometimes even training, for your Australian Shepherd.
A responsible breeder will be always available and ready to talk. The breeder will also take the dog back if you realise that you can’t take care of it due to some reason. A reliable breeder will be there for you even when your Aussie puppy becomes an adult dog. The breeder, who wants to communicate and discuss your dog’s issues that may bother you, deserves respect and definitely can be trusted.
A responsible breeder works closely with his Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based and knows their personalities very well. He has spent so much time watching the puppies grow and develop properly. A responsible breeder has also spent so many days and weeks socialising the puppies in order to prepare them for their new life in a new home.
The breeder doesn’t just sell you a puppy. He wants to become your best friend. The breeder joins your family and helps you raise a healthy and happy puppy. The breeder who truly loves his dogs wants to find the best homes for them. This is a good sign when the breeder asks you questions about the conditions the pet is going to live in, your family members and their attitude towards a new puppy. That means that he really cares and wishes his puppies the best that life has to offer.
How you can recognise a dedicated Australian Shepherd breeder
In fact, recognising a reliable and trustworthy breeder is not a tough task. The moment you visit the breeder and see the dogs, you will be able to make up your mind. Responsible breeders should:
- Belong to a breed club of New South Wales
- Have a good reputation among the other breeders
- Ask questions about your family and your lifestyle
- Be able to provide a written contract
- Be able to show you the parents of the puppy
- Produce health records, vaccinations, and health-check information for the parents and the puppy
- Never make a pressured sale by pushing for a rushed decision
A responsible breeder will answer all of your questions and help you choose the Australian Shepherd puppy that suits you, your family, and your lifestyle most. Plus, a dedicated breeder will provide you with written instructions on how to feed, train, groom, and care for your Aussie.
If you are a first-time dog owner and have no idea how to identify a reliable dog breeder, ask your trusted friends for help. No doubt, there are dog owners among your friends who have already dealt with breeders and know where to find a good one. A trustworthy breeder will definitely allow you to visit the place where the puppies and their parents are kept.
The reliable Australian Shepherd breeders NSW based consider their dogs part of the family. They love them deeply and worry about their future.
Questions to ask an Australian Shepherd breeder
There are many important questions you should ask an Australian Shepherd breeder in New South Wales before making the final decision to buy a puppy from them. Some of these questions might include: How long have they been breeding Australian Shepherds? How often do they have puppies?
How do they socialise with their Australian Shepherds for sale NSW based? Are they able to provide references from people who have purchased a puppy from them before? What type of support do they provide for puppy owners? Are there health guarantees, and if so what are they and how do they work? How often do they have litters of Australian Shepherds for sale NSW? What is the health history of both parents? Have the parents undergone any genetic testing? Have they had elbow and hip radio graphs done? Does this line have any history of eye issues? What is the temperament of the parents? Do the parents compete in any shows or competitions? If so, did they receive awards or place in the competition?
If you are pleased with the answers the breeder gives, you can buy a puppy without hesitation.
Here are some responsible Australian Shepherd puppy breeders in New South Wales to look into:
- Cuebiyar Australian Shepherds – Founded in 1998, they are breeders of multiple best and runner up in Show winners, Supreme & Grand Champions, Champions (20+), the second Agility Champion for the breed, and Obedience, Agility, Endurance, Fly Ball, Discu Dog, and Herding titled dogs in Australia and overseas. They breed for type, temperament and versatility as well as genetic soundness.
- Dykinta Kennels – A small kennel striving for excellence in type, temperament and health. This kennel also breeds Golden Retriever and Border Collie puppies.
- Sarbinma Australian Shepherds – This small kennel breeds Australian Shepherds occasionally for show, pet, and performance homes. Their dogs are first and foremost family members, who are much loved and cared for in a home environment. These Australian Shepherds train in and compete in Obedience, rally obedience, herding, flyball, agility and show conformation with many titles in each.
- Mistari Canine Enterprises – Involved in Australian Shepherds since 2004, this breeder has Australian Shepherds from the world renowned, top USA Harmony Hills kennel in the USA. Breeding for breed quality and performance, these dogs compete in all dog sport competitions successfully. All breeding dogs are tested for known genetic disorders, have hip/elbow scores, and eye testing done prior to breeding. All puppies are raised in a family environment and are well socialised.
- Delchoksy Australian Shepherds – This small kennel is located in Newcastle and produces happy and well adjusted puppies. This breeder strives to breed for type, temperament and versatility, whether it be for show, performance, or a lovable family member. All Australian Shepherds for sale NSW are vet checked, vaccinated, micro-chipped, and DNA tested.
Get Your Australian Shepherd Today!
The Australian Shepherd is a fantastic pet that will easily become your closest friend and companion. Do your best to find a reputable Aussie breeder in New South Wales. We hope the above information will help you find Australian Shepherds for Sale NSW.